Friday, January 14, 2011

Blowing Bubbles

Today I am reminded of how lucky I am to have Tricare!  I know it has its MAJOR faults as I have been subjected to them like a lot of you, however today I am grateful! C has to go to speech twice a week, possibly three times a week and I am so thankful that Tricare covers this and all the other random things he has needed lately.  So very grateful!!!

C had his first speech appointment today and it was amazing to observe him with the therapist.  I am sharing this little bit of our world because of the great resources that are starting to come my way from this therapist and only wish I could have found these resources earlier.  Some of them are so simple it makes me want to smack my head while others aren't.

I hope in sharing this journey with you all that it might give you inspiration for games and educational things to do with your kiddos whether they need speech or not.

So here is what we are all about this week . . . blowing bubbles and eating lollipops!  Seriously!
I blow bubbles for C all the time but now have to turn the tables and get him to.  He has started that blowing motion already on hot food but as it strengthens his weak muscles, he needs to be encouraged to do it more.  We are also blowing bubbles in milk, water, and the bath tub as much as possible.

Uggh!  The lollipops!  I don't let C have a ton of candy and when he does get it, it's usually dark chocolate, which he LOVES!  When he gets the lollipop he is supposed to kiss it with a smacking noise to practice more muscle tone and sound creation.  If it will get him on the road to talking I guess I can embrace the small sugar highs and find some all natural ones.  Yes, I am that granola!

Lastly, lets all stare at the mouth.  Whenever he wants something I have to bring the object up to my mouth and name the object for him while asking if he wants it.  If he still won't look (cause he's a toddler and busy) then I put his hand on my cheek to get him to look.

That's all for now.  More fun and exciting speech ideas next week.

No comments: